The Bell Memorial Library was given to the town of Nunda in 1912 by Katherine Bell Lewis in memory of her mother, her brother, and her father, Hon. Alfred Bell, one-time assemblyman from Livingston County.
The gift grew out of a small free circulating library established by the College Club, which was active at the turn of the century. The club had a membership of about 200, with Capt. H. W. Hand as its head. The books were contributed by members. When Mrs. Lewis heard of this movement, she made her decision to give the library to the town.
The building was originally constructed to hold 6,000 volumes. In 1924, the children’s room was enlarged with book shelves made possible by monetary gifts. A.G. Cox, Vice President of the Wrigley Gum Company and Nunda native son, made it possible to add whatever books were needed from time to time. The library served as the school library, complying with state requirements starting in 1930 until 1939 when construction was finished with the Nunda Central School, now Keshequa Central School. It also supported a branch in Dalton.
The library now holds over 62,000 items that include not only books, but audiobooks, DVDs, and magazines.